Monday, June 3, 2013

 WEATHER REPORT
from BROOKLYN
it's a
HEAT WAV
of ROSES

No one ever promised me a rose garden, especially Mr. C, so I planted one myself.


When I first moved into this house I ordered 13 rose bushes from Pickering Nursery in Canada.
I chose them for their scent, age and color.
13 years later 4 of them are still in the garden and thriving.  In fact, I need a chain saw to trim one of them, towering almost 2 stories tall! 
My favorite is Reine des Violettes, as it's name suggests, a mauve rose with no thorns and recurrent blooms.


More Reine

The real thing


Fish of the Week

SEA BASS

 Freezer Lady is one of our favorite fish customers. Every Wednesday she tells us what she has in her freezer, and shares some of her special recipes. Her absolute favorite fish is 
sea bass

SEA BASS with a GIN MARTINI

Put the sea bass fillets skin side down in an iron skillet
Squirt with fresh lime juice 
add a couple pats of sweet butter
throw in the oven and broil at 400

Pour two fingers of BOMBAY gin into a cocktail shaker
look at the bottle of vermouth
add ice
shake wildly to Club des Belugas
HIP HIP CHIN CHIN CLICK HERE!
(she's secretly taking ballroom dancing lessons to become the next Latin champion!)

pour into a chilled martini glass
add two castelvetrano olives
and sip until fish is to your liking
EAT
Freezer Lady prefers a little green salad with her sea bass

Next time:

The Wedding Issue
(well.... it is JUNE)